190,000 Americans are affected by Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) every year. Despite receiving therapy with mechanical ventilation, approximately 40% of ARDS patients will die as a result of the disease. Veno-venous extracorporeal life support (VV ECLS) is an emerging therapy designed to provide a higher level of support by infusing oxygen directly into the blood. The CESAR trial randomized 180 adult ARDS patients and the use of advanced VV ECLS therapy reduced the rate of death and disability by 31% compared to conventional management with mechanical ventilation.
The TandemLung Kit is designed to address two major roadblocks that have prevented VV ECLS therapy from becoming a new standard of care: the difficulty of initiating and maintaining a patient on VV ECLS support, and suboptimal gas exchange rates with devices that are currently available.
- Right Internal Jugular vein insertion
- Stable, RA-PA configuration to reduce recirculation
- Quick priming pump and oxygenator easily exchanged
- Shortest total circuit length on the market
- Enhanced mobility when used with the Voyager Vest